About The Manufacturer Of Orijen Large Breed Puppy Food
When it comes to original dog food that is somewhat natural; there are very few options like Orijen. Orijen Large Breed Puppy Food is manufactured by Champion Petfoods; a company known for using fresh regional ingredients to make dog food that is biologically appropriate.
This is based on the principle that dogs should be fed on a diet; that would contain food that is similar to what they would eat on a natural diet; if they were in the wild. Naturally, the food they produce is rich in meat protein; divided into 38 to 42 percent protein and 75 to 80 percent meat. This composition offers more than most dog food brands. The carbohydrate makeup is about 18 to 22 percent; which can be considered very low.
Additionally, Orijen foods are made with fresh meat up to 40 percent; a virtually unique fact. Champion Petfoods also discloses that a minimum of five fresh meats are used in each formula. This makes their brand very unique, and there aren’t many competitors that offer what they do.
Orijen Large Breed Puppy Ingredients
This is the list of disclosed ingredients that make up Orijen Large Breed Puppy food. They are as follows;
- Chicken meal
- Turkey meal
- Herring meal
- Salmon meal
- Red lentils
- Green peas
- Green lentils
- Chicken liver oil
- Sun-cured alfalfa
- Pea fiber
- Licorice root
- Angelica root
- Sweet fennel
- Peppermint leaf
- Summer savory
- Enterococcus faecium.
The following list of ingredients bears the ‘*’ indicating that they are fresh and preservative-free; or delivered fresh and are never frozen
- Boneless chicken*
- Chicken liver*
- Whole herring*
- Boneless turkey*
- Butternut squash*
- Spinach greens*
- Red Delicious apples*
- Bartlett pears*
- Turkey liver*
- Whole eggs*
- Boneless walleye*
- Whole salmon*
- Chicken heart*
- Chicken cartilage*
There isn’t much difference between the ingredients used in Orijen food for large breed puppies and the regular puppy food. They are basically the same, the main difference being that there is a little more protein in Orijen Puppy; and a few more carbs in the Large Puppy food. The calcium to phosphorus ratio is also identical; a surprising fact since usually the phosphorus-calcium ratio in large breed puppy foods is lower.
Five Key Ingredients in Orijen Large Breed
Boneless chicken, chicken meal, chicken liver, whole herring, and boneless turkey are the 5 key ingredients included in Orijen Large Breed Puppy Food. Their significances are as follows:
- Boneless Chicken – Orijen uses free-run cobb chicken in their formulas; ensuring that your dog’s food is hormone and antibiotic-free. It is also an excellent source of protein for large breed puppies.
- Chicken Meal – The chicken meal is made from the same meat as boneless chicken, but the difference is that it has already been cooked to remove moisture. This makes the chicken meal much more highly concentrated as a source of protein than boneless chicken; making it a valuable addition to this formula.
- Chicken Liver – while it is a good source of protein, chicken liver is more important for its nutrient content. It is packed with essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, vitamin D, various B vitamins, iron, phosphorus, and folic acid.
- Whole Herring – Also an excellent source of protein just like its predecessors before it. Because the whole herring comes from fish, and not meat; it also contains omega-3 fatty acids which is good for a puppy’s skin. It is also good for the pup’s coat, nervous system, heart, and other systems.
- Boneless Turkey – very much like boneless chicken, boneless turkey is an excellent source of animal protein. You should remember however that fresh meats like turkey contain up to 80% water. This means that they will contribute less to the finished product when it comes to terms of protein volume. But because there are many other sources of protein in this recipe; this is not a problem at all.
Note: the Large Puppy food has 4 percent less fat than the Puppy food.
Crude protein (min.) ….. 38%
Crude fat (min.) ….. 16%
Crude fiber (max.) ….. 3%
Moisture (max.) ….. 10%
Calcium (min./max.) ….. 1.5 / 1.7 %
Phosphorus (min./max.) ….. 1.2 / 1.4 %
Omega-6 (min.) ….. 2.6%
Omega-3 (min.) ….. 1%
DHA (min.) ….. 0.6%
EPA (min.) ….. 0.3%
AA (min.) ….. 0.12%
Carbohydrate (max.) ….. 25%
Ash (max.) ….. 7.5%
Taurine (min.) ….. 0.35%
Glucosamine (min.) ….. 1400 mg/kg
Chondroitin (min.) ….. 1200 mg/kg
Microorganisms (min.) ….. 120M cfu/kg
pH ….. 5.5
The Metabolizable energy for Orijen Large Breed Puppy is about 388 kcal per 8 ounces cup.
Additional Information on Orijen Puppy Large
Type of food
Dry extruded complete
What Dog types is it suitable for?
What Breed sizes is Orijen Large recommended for?
Suitable for large breed dogs like greyhounds, labradors and boxers with adult weights between 25kg to 45kg. Also suitable for giant breed dogs such as great danes, mastiffs and bernese with adult weights of 45kg and above
What Dog ages should Orijen Large Breed Puppy food be fed to?
From weaning to 2 years
Orijen Large Breed Puppy dog food comes in three sizes. They are 340g, 6kg & 11.4kg bags
The 340g size bags cost £5.25 each
The 6kg bags cost £44.99 each
The 11.4kg bags cost £78.99 each